Thursday, April 29, 2010

Getting Coached

I'm pretty sure that I would have already pitched this crazy idea about running a marathon (or any race) if I didn't have my awesome coach. Yesterday we ran a slow mile and then did 5 'things'. They have a cool name but I forget it. Here's how it worked though

run a quarter in less than 2:30
walk half way back
jog the rest of the way back
repeat 5 times.

We actually ran them all in more like 2:10 (first one 1:52 and last one 2:01). This is a fun thing and breaks up the endless training by simply running farther and farther which ultimately might work but this is a nice break and coach is sure that this works better. During the last piece of the 5th one I looked over at Leah and asked, "Why aren't you breathing? I was huffing and puffing like a steam shovel! I guess the 30 year old body works differently from the 59 year old version.

I followed this up with an ice bath and a beer (and water too coach!).

Today is a day off and then I run tomorrow morning, off day Saturday but with a long walk and then our 3-4 miler on Sunday. I feel good!

1 comment:

  1. It's so impressive when you get up early and run or when you still run at 5:30 or 6 in the evening when all you really want to do is have a beer.
    The best though is when you submerge yourself into the ice bath. The sounds I hear coming from the bathroom as I sit in the kitchen are very impressive! Keep running!!

    ReplyDelete